Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Day 1 - Friday, June 19, 2009, Hamilton to SOO Ont






Well, the time has arrived and the trip begins. It wasn’t too difficult to get up extra early... I didn’t sleep as well as I hoped. The bike was packed and ready to go from yesterday... and I hit the road early enough I hoped, 5:47 am, to not be caught in Toronto traffic. That worked fine. The traffic was busy but moving well. Overall the traffic was fine for the trip. I made stops in Barrie, Parry Sound, Sudbury and Iron Bridge area. The wind was nasty west of Blind River... increasing cross winds and combined with the turbulence of the trucks, raised my stress levels. I will need to purchase a throttle rocker to give my right hand some rest. The V-strom grips are small diameter and I cramped up. I was running ahead of schedule for my stop with family in the SOO, and took a side detour ride around St Joseph Island in Hwy 548. The entire circuit of the island is about 100 kms and was a nice break from the straight gusty Trans Canada Hwy. I saw a doe and her new fawn.. the smallest deer I have even seen. Barely taller than the grass on the side of the road.
Dinner with family, call home, and fun visit with their friends I knew and a welcome rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment