Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Day 2 - SOO to Uppsala

Started off wet- rain during the night.. Breakfast with the family and a later start at about 9AM. My first stop was at a local bike shop to buy a throttle rocker. My right hand has been cramping and the fingers numb. It works well. Heading north from the SOO, wasn’t long before I ran into dense fog. Bad. Barely run the speed limit and even slower. I used my 4 way flashers in case I got overrun by another vehicle. Made it to Wawa just before lunch.. already to stop. Fuel, and a Timmies lunch of sandwich and soup. Photo at the great Wawa goose and on my way. Made good time north of Wawa... road started to dry, only small patches of fog. Gassed up in Marathon and while there a group of 7 Harley riders from Buffalo came in. We left together. There were quite the group of fast riders..... averaged 120-125 kms/hr. Nice sweeping bends. They turned off just before Nipigon and I continued on. My next stop except once for a photo of the lake was the Terry Fox memorial just outside Thunder Bay. There I ran into another group of 4 riders from Ajax. They were also headed to Alberta to Drumheller then Red Deer and across to Saskatchewan Crossing and up to Jasper. I headed west thing first Dryden, then St Ignace and finally settled on Upsalla for a campground and dinner of Fish and Chips at the camp diner. The sun sets at 10:02 tonight, the summer solstice – midsummer. As write this it is almost that time.. and still good light. I have logged 1665 kms now in 2 days riding. My average speed while moving is over 95 kms per hour. Not bad I think. I set up camp... the place is swarming with small irritating flies. Bug spray works some... but they are everywhere. Bike is running well, and the throttle rocker is doing its thing too. My shoulders ache a little. At least it was a nice day past noon. Looking forward to some rest after the sun sets and a early start tomorrow.

Wawa Goose


Fog Lifting In Wawa


North Shore of Lake Superior


Terry Fox Memorial


Terry Fox Memorial


First Camp in Uppsala Ontario

No comments:

Post a Comment