Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Day 7 - Grande Prairie to Toad River BC – 790 kms mostly rain

Left Norris’s home in GP at 7:00 am. First stop for gas and check map. Headed for Dawson Creek... where mile 0 of the Alaskan hwy is. On the way to Dawson Creek I found a set of scales to weight the bike with me on it... loaded and 2/3 of a tank of gas. 420 Kg (924 pounds total). As I entered Dawson Creek BC, stopped at a Wal-Mart for a McDonalds Breakfast, and to add my thermal liner and rain pants to my over pants – good decision!! Proceeded to the Mile 0 sign for a self photo. While there a fellow named Tyler from Atlanta rolled up on his BMW GS 1200 Adventure for the same reason. After photos, we decided to ride together. His plan is to ride to Watson Lake today... some long way. It is on the border of the Yukon. My basic plan was to ride to Fort Nelson – 5 hours away. Wasn’t long before it started to rain a little, then more then lots. Basically we rolled into Fort Nelson wet and cold. Tyler wanted to continue... and though I was eyeing the abundance of inviting hotels around us.... we headed out. 221 kms to the next gas as we left town. Nothing until then. I think at 65 kms we were both regretting the decision... but pressed on. Tyler was getting soaked... his wet gear wasn’t doing the job. I was getting slowly wet at the waist and my hands were warm only because of the grip heaters working well. Finally an Oasis in the storm....at mile marker 442 The Toad River Lodge which is a gas/ restaurant/ gift shop and cabins. Definitely not fancy... but serviceable is an apt description. We took a room.... I thought it to be the last one available – but wasn’t. $79 for a night – 2 single beds, shower sink and toilet. There was a small RV park beside with a laundry mat to dry our clothes and we ate a overpriced meal at the restaurant. I found out from Tyler who is travelling with only US money that everywhere he has been nobody offers exchange. We will fix that tomorrow at a bank. I told him to use his card and if he needs cash... I will offer him exchange for his US currency. We will travel again tomorrow together on into the Yukon to Whitehorse – a long ride but doable is the weather co-operates. I called the Yukon Honda dealer in Whitehorse and spoke to john again to inquire what hours he is open tomorrow (Friday) and Saturday – open to 5:30 Saturday so no worries to make it to him for a tire change before Sunday. I won’t lose any time waiting for the shop to open.
My IPod locked up in mid song... won’t play. I will wait for the battery to run down and try that as a reset. It has made the miles easier to ride...hope it restarts okay.
I am now 3 time zones from home.. today is an hour longer than yesterday and I am now ready to sleep. I heard that both Michael Jackson and Farrah Faucet died today. One I won’t miss, but Farrah I think as a real tragedy. 2 days ago, Ed McMahon died too I saw.
Tomorrow, destination is Whitehorse.. I hope for clear weather.. supposed to be but cold. Today wasn’t warm either...... maybe 13C and of course rain.



Mile "0" of Alaska Highway



Toad River - drying out in a room



Toad River Lodge 'oasis'

No comments:

Post a Comment