Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Day 11 – Dawson City to Eagle Plains – the Dempster Hwy halfway point. About 400 kms today, 365 of gravel.

Late start.... 12:30. Couldn’t decide if to go or stay..... but packed and got to Km 0 of the Dempster at 12:30. Not much to say... I got used to riding the gravel, the road was variable difficulty from loose gravel and washboard to fast hardpack. I was able to travel up to 100 kms/hr at times... but the norm was about 80, sometimes 90, sometimes mid 60’s. No scares of close moments, except an RV coming the other way didn’t give me much room... I think he cleared my left saddlebag by less than 12”. Too close. Anyway, I was board, tired and it wasn’t good to continue on, plus the camping facilities here at Eagle Plains are primitive but adequate with cheap rates, free showers, and restaurant on the premises. I carried a spare 5 litre gas can... didn’t need it... still had 1.3 litres left when I got here.... reserve was flashing.
Took me a while to decide to camp or not or move on... but in the end... just pitched the tent. In the lounge here, there is a series of photos about a 1932 manhunt that ended successfully if you don’t count 2 good guy deaths and a wounding to track one thief and killer. It was the RCMP’s longest and hardest manhunt apparently
Tomorrow, the road is tougher, but there is Ft McPherson and 2 ferry crossings before Inuvik. And of course, the Arctic Circle marker just 30 kms up the road. 11 pm..... and bright sun in the sky. The GPS says the sun sets 14 minutes after it rises... so clearly it is confused all after 2 AM. It also went into night mode about 5 PM this afternoon. !!! soon to turn in. Not sure when I will arrive or how long I stay... but Canada Day is the day after tomorrow... I need to decided where to spend it... Inuvik or Dawson.



Dempster Highway - mile '0'


icey lake in mountains


Dempster Hwy


Dempster Hwy


Inukshuk


Inukshuk


Eagle Plains Motel/ Gas/ Dining/ Garage (tire repair)/ and campground
Self sustaining with own generators, water, etc.
at exact halfway point between Klondyke hwy and Inuvik


Eagle Plains Camp


Eagle Plains Camp

No comments:

Post a Comment