Thursday, July 30, 2009

Day 17 - July 6th - Palmer to almost Seward and then to Tok Junction – 920 kms approx

9 am start after a rested sleep. Registered and got directions to a Wal-Mart in Anchoridge. Headed south to Anchorage 40 miles away for a Wal-Mart to replace my IPod. $145.00 – hope that was reasonable for a 8GB unit. Should be enough to hold all my songs at home. I have only 500 in my ITunes in the laptop. Still need to set it up and register it.
After Anchorage, a new IPod, and breakfast I headed south on the Seward Hwy. Pretty country, but much like the road to Valdez except some parts were next the water. Many photo opportunities. After riding 2/3 the way I decided that Seward wasn’t as important as making tracks for Tok. So I rested a while, took a few photos of the furthest place from home I will be and turned back. The ride was good and fast except for some RV’s. Could of been worse. The road out of Palmer was nice and twisty but then gave way to road of dips and rougher pavement and a long construction section of packed gravel. Finally made it to Glenallen hub and gassed up, chatted with a couple on a Sportster out for a escape ride from the kids, and then headed towards Tok. That road was worse than I remember from 2 days ago. Many, many dips and 5 sections of gravel that were sometimes not marked until you came on them. I got more cautious looking for them after 2 surprises set my heart going. Hitting them at over 100 kms per hour is nasty. Found a campsite in Tok – expensive and next to the hwy... bonus – no bugs. Dinner, gas and set up camp and started to write this. Later.



Kenai Penninsula


Kenai Penninsula


Kenai Penninsula


Kenai Penninsula
Furthest point from Home on this trip


1972 V12 E type Jaguar for sale
Cool car - nice condition


Alaska #1 Highway


Alaska #1 Highway

No comments:

Post a Comment