Saturday, August 1, 2009

Day 18, July 7, Tok to Haines and ferry to Skagway, 729 kms

Got started after a double oatmeal breakfast and packing at 9 am approx. Headed for the nearby visitors centre to check ferry schedules from Haines to Skagway. 8:30 sailing – 11 hurs away. I can do that. Headed east for the border 90 miles away. Wasn’t long efore I ran into several construction spots.. some long, some you had to wait for the pilot car to lead you through. Finally made the border and met up with a gentleman I had seen in several places earlier including Eagle Plains camping, Inuvik Greenhouse tour, and later in Dawson City. He confirmed what I learned last night that Sean, Ingrid and Kate had taken my rented room and were thrilled by it. That made me feel very good. I headed east along the Alaska Hwy and ran into more loose gravel, Pilot cars and delays.... but between them I tried to make the best time I could. Reached Beaver Crossing and gassed up and the old guy there said I had seen the worst, the road was good and I could go WHOSH from here on. Indeed, I got carried away and at one point a Mountie car scared me by turning on his lights to warm me I was going to fast. Thank goodness he didn’t turn back and give chase.. I was looking for a place to hide... LOL. I slower to a more moderate 110 from the 120 I was cruising back and knew I had time in my pocket – about 2 hours to spare to not miss the ferry. Finally got to Haines Junction, the turn-off for Haines. Started out of town and noticed a sign that said no gas for 203 kms. Whoops!!! Turn back and gas up... met a fellow from Brazil on a BMW. Evidentially he was upset because he was riding with 2 others and stopped to take a photo of the turnoff sine for Fairbanks (his goal) and Haines. Then he made a mistake and went in the Haines direction all the way to the US border 175 kms away. He had to turn back and now was way behind his buddies. He was hoping to find internet to send them a message. I think they would have waited somewhere along the way... and indeed I had seen 2 guys 75 kms back at a rest area that could well have been them. I hope he hooked up with them. The road to Haines was fantastic, 100 kms zone. Great condition, nicely twisty and the best part was the outstanding scenery, the best so far though there have been a lot of great views I have seen. Every turn was a new vista. I stopped for photos but made the stops short and took many as I could imagine I will use. I almost had the bike fall over when the side stand sank into the chip seal at the shoulder of the road.... caught it and was in a awkward predicament with it leaning so far and difficult to hold it and throw one leg over to balance it. I need to watch for that closer. The road closer to Haines went over a nice high pass with beautiful vistas and deep valleys. It also finally went down to water level and followed a river for some ways... more great photos. It was fast and twisty too. Finally into Haines, I rode to town for a bit and then found the road to the ferry terminal. Guess what... under construction for 4 miles and a mess with loose gravel, wet mud and a pilot car for one part. It ended right at the ferry terminal. Got my ticket... $64 US for me and the bike, more than I was told in Tok. I was here now.. no point arguing it.. they said they had no other fares. Met 3 guys from Germany on rented GS1200 who were having a great time. Chatted for a while and basically killed off the 1.25 hours before the ferry departure. On the ferry, I had dinner, good food and good value surprisingly. Walked te deck and took photos of the passing cruise ships headed south. 3 of them. And another departing when we pulled into Skagway. Princess, Royal Caribbean and 2 others I could not identify. Off the ferry, looked for local campsites. Finally found one after going to 2 different parks. No idea the cost.... but I am here and will check in and out in the morning. I am right in the city... against the property line 30 feet from a public road with a house across the street. Not the most private place... but will do. Lots of RV’s here, very few tent sites. I got the last one.... if there is more than 1. At least I have a table to sit the computer on, another I looked at had nothing. Just about midnight.... 4 am Eastern time. All of Alaska is on a different time zone than the Yukon and BC, even if parts are east of the Yukon.
Time to wrap this up. Before I leave town in the morning I want to drive out to the mountain the dust was. Chillkoot trail I think it is called. I have a shortcut planned tomorrow on my ride east. The road is good I was told... but on the map looks dubious. Saves about 100 kms.....and is only 40 across approx. I will see.



A great day for scenery, lots of photos hard to decide which ones to use.
The road from Tok to Haines Junction









This lake made a perfect mirror with the mountains and sky



Closer to Haines, this river and lake were next to the road
which had turned twisty







The highway from Haines Junction to Haines was extremely scenic
It passed through BC into Alaska, and over a pass. The road was
very good ride, with changing scenery and good road.















Haines AK: the ferry to Skagway AK













My campsite in Skagway

No comments:

Post a Comment