Saturday, August 1, 2009

Day 21 July 10, Smithers to Lac La Hache – about 700 kms (between Williams Lake and 100 Mile House)

Boy, it was nice to wake up in a bed, little packing to do and a bathtub to soak in. I watched TV last night and again this morning – practice for the German Grand Prix F1. Will miss qualifying tomorrow, but may see the race in Whistler on Sunday.
I downloaded my photos, looked at a few, some of the mountain shots were disappointing, the light mountains colour do not contrast to the sky. May have to try manually adjusting the contrast and see what I can bring out. Got started late, after 10, more like 10:30. Didn’t want to leave. I was the last to leave the motel I think.
Breakfast at McDonalds and hit the road heading east on the Yellowhead towards Prince George. The maps don’t give the scale, and programming the GPS is also a drag to watch the kms slowly count down. Traffic was heavier than any other day I have ridden, and lots of trucks and RVs and cars to pass. Road is excellent and there are many passing lanes. The ride was basically boring even after Prince George south on Hwy 97.
There was one very notable exciting moment of the entire day. I saw a Grizzly bear... and up close, very close, too close. Can I say it was not as far away as I would have liked. LOL. I laugh now, but this bear crossed the hwy from the left shoulder where I first saw him. It looked like he was looking for a break in the traffic and picked me as the smallest vehicle to challenge. I was travelling 110 kms per hour and as soon as he left the left shoulder at a run I knew the timing was going to be very bad. No way I could go around and his speed was surprising, a gallop I would call it. I braked hard front and rear.. the rear tire on threshold of grip before lockup (I could hear the tire starting to howl) and haul the bike down to about 35 kms per hour as he made it to shoulder just as I rolled past. Those 2-3 seconds I saved bought him and me a reprieve from a nasty day. Judging from the size of him he would have won... and whooped my ass just for spite. The car following me about 100 yards back must have got a good show. Took me a couple kms before I realized I was travelling under the limit and needed to get up to speed. Maybe a change of underwear was in order too. Haha.
Rolled into Williams Lake about 6 PM. I should have stopped there for the night... but still lots of light and time to ride. Stopped to make a couple of calls, including to daughter Lisa and friends Karen and Brian. Brian’s daughter lives in Williams Lake... and I thought I would update him where I was. He updated me on his knee replacement 3 months ago and we promised to get together after my trip was over. Lisa wanted to know what I wanted to do when in Whistler. A unique Gondola ride and kayaking were suggested. I will decide tomorrow. I will stay over Sunday and leave Monday for Vancouver Island. No rush to leave the daughter I haven’t seen in almost a year.
I started on for 100 Mile House about 1 hour away. Along the way I spotted this pretty lake (Kokanee Lake?) and a campground, but nothing else close. I proceeded down the road into the town of Lac La Hache looking for more camping along the lake. Stopped for gas and asked and was directed back to the one I past about 5 kms outside town. So back I went, checked in and asked about internet – none but in town there was a Pizza cafe with internet (I assumed free if you ate). Ordered a pizza (only option) and paid $3 for internet access during my meal. No emails, that surprised me after last nights journal update being sent. Not accurate actually, I received 2 comments this morning before I left the motel. I expected more. One comment said the journal could not be opened.... I used a version that was not common for most computers. Maureen confirmed that tonight when she said she could not open it either. I fixed that by creating a new document in a more compatible version, and emailing that to everyone I sent it to... see if that helps.
Well, I am camped, darkness has fallen just past 10 pm, (amazing what a thousand kms north makes a difference) and I am ready to call it a day. Good night.


Old abandoned home and farm











My campground at Lac La Hache






No comments:

Post a Comment