Saturday, August 1, 2009

Day 22 – Lac La Hache to Whistler

Shorter ride day, late start from a nice campground. The ride was typical hwy ride.... 90 and 100 km zones, sweeping turns, some construction. Made decent time to a town called Clinton, about 30 kms before the turnoff for hwy 99 to Whistler.
There was another road at Clinton that cut off about 30 kms of riding, on the map it looked half paved and half unpaved. A shortcut. The first part paved was nice, turned into light gravel and then made a turn and started uphill. I should have followed my instincts that this was different than expected. GPS said 21 kms to the next turn and the road layout looked erratic... lots of switchbacks and then came the 14% grade sign. Bad road, large loose rocks, loose gravel, steep incline and I had barely started the road, maybe 1 kms into it when I realized I was entering a corner too slow, in the wrong gear facing a incline. Tried to shift down, lost momentum and stopped. With the front brake only applied the bike began to slide backwards dragging the tire. Stopped that, tried to engage first gear and move forward and then lost balance and the bike tipped over on the right side. I fell clear and was then clearly frustrated by my efforts to raise it back up even after unloading some gear and using all the proper techniques. I took pictures for the record. After about 10 minutes a couple in a pick-up truck happened along and gave me the assistance I needed to right the bike and get it pointed back down the road. They followed me down and I stopped to survey the damage and repair and broken front signal light. Little scratches on the fairing, engine guards saved more damage and they have light scratches too. The right saddle bag got the worst of the scratches. Nothing to be done.. call them character marks and this is an adventure ride. I had 2 part epoxy and black electrical tape to repair the signal lens housing, signal light still works fine.
Headed back to hwy 97, called Lisa to say I was running behind schedule and headed for hwy 99. Hwy 99 was very very scenic, more than I remember from 2005 by bike and 1995 in a car. Curvy road to say the least, with a few patches of construction. Stopped in Lillooet for gas and an ice cream. It was very hot about 35C and I removed most of my riding clothes except a tee shirt and wore my jacket and mesh pants over jeans. The trip down to Whistler was fun ride, lots of 20 and 60 km turns, bridges and few construction spots. Passing was a game of patience.
Arrived in Whistler, called Lisa and found her new apartment. Nice to see her again after 11.5 months. She told me the area campground was under construction and had only RV sites, the hostel was unavailable tonight, so I set up my tent in her backyard, ideal really. I met her best friends Mary and later her roommate Rheannin. We went grocery shopping and made a nice dinner of salmon with broccoli and potatoes. Watched and movie and I went to bed to get up and watch the F1 race at 5 in the morning. I got up and fell asleep after a few minutes, woke when it was over and went back to the tent to sleep.

This was a short cut that didn't work out well at all.







Duffy Lake Road (Hwy 99 or what I call the Sea to Sky Hwy)








Canada's Desert











Lillooet BC






Duffy Lake Road (Hwy 99 or what I call the Sea to Sky Hwy)













my campsite in Whistler BC
in my daughters apartment backyard

No comments:

Post a Comment