Monday, August 3, 2009

Day 28 - 4 weeks, July 17, Balfour (Toad Rock Campground) to St Marys Montana via Going to the Sun Road

Woke early, did my toiletries and packed quick, to make the 8:10 am ferry crossing from Balfour. This was the finish ride of yesterdays magic ride to Creston BC. After that I would be riding less interesting roads into Montana to West Glacier and the Going to Sun Road and Logans Pass.
I had breakfast in Creston after a great ride south from the ferry. I finished riding that road that I started in 2005 bike trip but didn’t have time to complete and reversed my travel then back to Creston. It was much as I remembered (great) except the pavement was newer in many spots, traffic was light and overtaking just took a little patience.
After breakfast I noticed a wet spot on the ground under my bike. Closer examination showed the bottom of the clutch side of the engine was a little wet and dirty. Not motor oil, maybe cooling fluid. It wasn’t a lot, but it concerned me a little, so rode on looking for a bike shop to ask about it. I finally found one in the next town, Cranbrook, a Kawasaki dealer. The mechanic at first suspected I had a cooling hose clamp loose, and tightened a couple clamps, but then (he had worked for Suzuki before) said he thought my clutch slave actuator was the issue. He said dirt can get into them and cause the piston to bind and leak a little. He told me to keep an eye on the hydraulic reservoir on the clutch perch. It was still full but it would be an indication of a faster leak. The clutch is working fine, so I will have it looked at when home provided the problem doesn’t accelerate.
I made the border, shopped duty free and passed customs and set the GPS for town of West Glacier, entrance to the National Park. I stopped for a photo in West Glacier, gassed up and headed for the park. $12 admission to ride the road, good for 7 days... like I will be back – not. I had hoped for a National Park pass good for a week or month... but the annual pass for $80 was all they sold. Not the best deal. I wish I had not lost the one given to me. Not a big deal though. So it will cost me $32 instead of free.
In the park, I followed the speed limits signs, no point in trying to go faster, too much traffic and winding roads unsafe to pass. Many stops for photos even before the road started to gain elevation. It was hot, about 90F and I stopped to gear down for the heat. Montana is a helmet free state, so I stowed the helmet for a ball cap and tee shirt. The speeds were slow, I didn’t feel the need. The winding part of the road was under construction in a few spots, some with wetted dirt and took attention to stay of the slimey spots. Some vehicles were travelling so slow, I was in danger of stalling out... so I would pull over and take photos and let them go on.
Spectacular views all along the road.... with waterfalls in several spots on the rock face side of the road. Not hard to find a ideal location for more photos. There were a few spots where snow was still present next to the road, and they made popular spots for other tourists to stop and take pictures.... I guess they must be form the south.. LOL. I even saw one snowball fight in progress.
I made the summit, Logans Pass, and parked the bike at the visitor centre and took a walk. There was a garden with a deer laying there posing for photos it seemed. I took one as well, not often you get that close and they are not startled away. This doe was surrounded by photographers and seemed totally nonchalant. I checked out the exhibits in the visitor centre, took photos of all there was interesting and headed for the bike. The ride from here was downhill and much less twisty. And less interesting. At the end of the road was the village of St Mary’s – a little tourist Mecca, with some camping. I located a nearby KOA, checked in, and also the local preferred eating spot which was busy with a waiting line, except I got in immediately by taking the last seat at the counter instead of a waiting for a table seat. Nice dinner, reasonable cost and complete with ice cream dessert. The place was busy though, very busy... and people still waiting when I left.
I headed back to the campground and set up camp, and struck up a lengthy conversation with my neighbour Lawrie from Colorado Springs who was riding a Goldwing. He was full of tales of people who ride around the world, and gave me a website to check it out... www.horizonsunlimited.com If there was working WiFi at this campground I would check it out. Unfortunately it was sold to me when I checked in, I need to Skype home and check emails, but the system has been faltering since a problem 2-3 days ago and won’t be fixed for a few more... easy for them to say but inconvenient to many here as I see many complaining about it in a disappointed way. This is a quality campground with a hot tub and nice sized pool. I took advantage of the hot tub for about an hour before trying the internet and then typing this report. Hopefully tomorrow I will find WiFi that works and get up to date. My wife earlier today by cell phone told me of several messages to me on forums where I had updated my travels. I would like to see them.
Tomorrow, I will figure out a route to the eastern side of Beartooth Pass, the preferred direction to ride that road. A place called Red Lodge will be my tentative destination, though I think there is a National Park where Custer made his final stand that would be worth visiting too in that general area. I will go and check maps now.





Balfour Ferry








West Glacier - west entrance to Glacier National Park




Going to the Sun Road




















Logans Pass







Deer close-up - very tame









my tire wear - will it get me home??
trying to use the edges more - LOL - is certainly more fun



Camping in St Marys Montana


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful Scenery Brad

    Is those the second set of tires?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, the stock tires came off in Whitehorse Yukon and the replacements shown here made it home.... but not much left when I was home. They looked a lot like those in the photo when I got home... just a little less tread on them.

    Scenery for the trip was great. The Going to the Sun Road is all about the scenery. My second trip across that road.... the first time was on my Honda Sabre in 2005.

    ReplyDelete