Friday, August 7, 2009

Day 32, Greybull WY to Custer’s Final Battlefield at Little Big Horn

Not a bad day riding, but not long. Got a start about 9 am, not early. I rode east out of Greybull and immediately the road was going through Bighorn Canyon, a impressive and scenic ride for a few hours - not long enough. Made a stop to see a friend of a friend, I was asked to stop and say hello and pleased to do it. It was a short but fun meeting. I continued on through the canyon, impressed by the scenic views. A couple I was camped near last night were spending their entire vacation in this area, hiking I think.

I crossed through a pass at 9000+ feet, though that is not unusual around here. I read in a Yellowstone pamphlet that Yellowstone Parks lowest elevation is 5282 feet, 2 feet more than 1 mile above sea level, and that was the surface of a river. Forgot the highest elevation, but certainly over 10,000 feet in the park.

I finally made it to interstate 90, headed north towards Custer’s final battle and the National Monument for it, plus a tour of the battlefield. I first stopped at a museum at the site of the huge Indian encampment that defeated Custer. Interesting place, lots of artefacts and a 50 minute film about the battle and the history associated with it. This area has been forensically studied to determine the truest story that could be made from a battle that had only some survivors, and they were all Native Americans, none of the army survived. Lots of facts were based on the Indian version of what happened, when and the troops movements which I found both interesting and confusing. But I didn’t come here to be an expert, just to gain an understanding of the size and magnitude of the battle, and the timeline.

After both the museum and the self guided tour of the battlefield, I searched out information of the Hwy 212 that is a 2 lane road that would take me to Rapid City area, my next destination, but a long ways away. Unfortunately, I was warned earlier today before arriving that there was a bad construction section with long delays and pilot cars, bad road and it was confirmed by someone at the gas pumps nearby who had come through yesterday. So I will just take the 4 lane hwy. At least, according to today’s experience, traffic is light, the pavement good, there is always room to pass, and the most chances for services is on that route. Just not how I wanted to spend my vacation. All the hwys out here, even secondary roads have speed limits faster than I like to ride, so a 4 lane hwy also makes sense.

Set up camp early in a nearby RV park, clean and nice, but little shade. I forgot to eat before arriving, and the nearest food is a 14 mile ride, some on gravel.... so I mooched some food from a couple from north Texas in a RV. Can of beans, 2 wieners, 3 slices of bread and 2 cold beers to wash it down. Not fancy, but filling enough to tied me over until breakfast. Great thing about camping is there is always someone to approach and chat. They didn't want any money for the food, indeed they plied me with questions, interested in my journey.
I am camped next to guy with a motorcycle towing a small tent trailer. He is from Kalamazoo Michigan. He has been out for almost as long as I, but covered much less territory, and already almost wore out his rear tire by the extra weight of the camper he is towing. His gas mileage also is sad... half of mine.

Well, time to pack it in for the night.


the Bighorn Canyon - outstanding rock formations & nice road

















Bighorn Canyon gave way to ranch land and cattle and sheep on the road







more rock formations - a high pass


then the rocks & elevation gave way to the start of the open Prairie again


Interstate 90 north into Montana - this Museum was on the site of the Sioux Village Custer wanted to attack



The site of Custers final battle


US soldiers were (originally) buried where they died - a stone marker locates each soldier - Custer's marker is the dark one











There is a large cemetary of US Soldiers located at the Bighorn Monument - like Arlington Cemetary in Washington DC




my Campground - also on a working ranch

No comments:

Post a Comment