Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Day 31, Monday July 20th (my birthday) Yellowstone Park to Greybull WY

I woke early and took my time getting packed. My birthday today.... wanted to make it a good one. Had breakfast and said good morning and goodbye to my neighbour Laurie who had slept in some. She was driving herself and son Ben home to Boulder CO today... a fairly long drive.
I started out by going to the nearby Visitor Centre to ask what, if any was the cost to exit the park and go to the Grand Tetons Park and then re-enter Yellowstone. I had no receipt from coming into the park, because it was a free day yesterday... but today was not. The cost was $25. I would spend maybe 2 hours at most; take a dozen photos of the views. I decided that it was not worth it and I hoped that my choice would make for good progress towards my hoped for goal of getting to Custer’s National Monument.... a good ride away, and something I thought I would miss from Saturdays ride to Billings area.
I started to ride towards the South Entrance to go towards the Teton Park. On the way I stopped at a waterfalls and took a photo, then spoke to a fellow riding a Goldwing. He took special interest in my Givi luggage and especially the added lights to my top case. I gave him a card for AdmoreLighting (www.admorelighting.com)I was carrying and I headed off. Made it to within sight of the park entrance and then turned around and headed back the way I came. The Tetons Park will have to wait for another trip. On the way, I caught up to another motorcycle with Ontario license plates, pulled along side and asked the passenger where in Ontario they were from. Hamilton I said, and so was the rider. We pulled over to chat and then I recognized him. We were both members of the same riding club before it folded 3 years ago. He asked about my wife who was having a rough time with breast cancer 5 years ago, and I updated him she was still fine. I recommended a few places in the park to see he asked about. We parted, and I headed for the Village Junction and then the east entrance, stopping for photos at Yellowstone Lake and Fishing Bridge (which is closed to fishing since 1973). There were grazing buffalo in this area.
On the way to the east entrance of the park, you pass over Sylvans Pass, some 9000 feet elevation, but a nice road. In 2005 when I was there it was under construction, and now I rode the pavement through. On a bike then, it would have been a rough go as I remember. Very scenic road, and stopped for more photos of course. I passed the East Gate into Yellowstone, and was amazed at the long line of bikes, cars, trucks and RV’s waiting to enter the park. It was at least half mile long, maybe more. The bikes were being rolled manually one car length at a time to prevent over heating (those air cooled Harleys) and the end of the line had no view of the park entrance. That must have taken a long time to pass. I felt badly for the vehicles still travelling fast to join the end of that long line. There were 3 booths open, but it would have taken a dozen to clear that jam in a reasonable amount of time. The road was fast and twisty. Soon the scenery changed into rough rugged outcroppings of rock, made me think of Monument Valley or the Badlands would look. I stopped for a photo, but was hard to catch the beauty of those walls of stone that lined the highway. I continued on and then a oasis of gas, lodging and restaurant appeared. It was on the site of Wild Bill Cody’s Lodge (Pahaska Tepee). I should have taken a photo, but was busy gassing up, washroom break, then a lunch meal and then chat with a group of riders from Edmonton. One was riding a Honda Sabre, same year as my curiser at home. I left and headed east again for Cody. But the land got flatter and the winds picked up. Crosswinds that made the riding hard. I finally stopped for 1 break and then continued on for Cody, my GPS saying I still had 30 minutes to travel, and the posted speed limit which I wasn’t maintaining. Finally Cody, and I slowed down to absorb what I saw and remember what I had seen from 4 years earlier. I asn't staying in Cody this time, but it is a very good place to spend a day or two. I found the Visitor Centre and asked about road construction on the 2 routes available to me, 14 or 14Alt. I also used their computer to check email and reply to a couple. On the way out of town, I remembered I forgot to email about the fault with top case lights. Later I would remember I hoped. On the outskirts of town I soon realized the wind was not and better, and I hung on for another 90 minutes to get to Greybull WY... where I decided that riding in this wind was not for my birthday.
I would find a place to chill for the rest of the day. I found a nice KOA campground, pool, WiFi that works (I made sure) and found a site to set up. Met some people also setting up and chatted, they were there to hike the area Bighorn Canyon, then I changed for a swim, then dinner (there was a restaurant on the camp premises and was very good food). Schnitzel with the trimmings, warm apple pie with whipped topping and I was content.
Set up the computer and used the entire 2 hour battery to get up to date, and make a long Skype call home for my birthday wishes. I also remember to write an email to Admore Lighting to describe the issues with my LED Beta lighting system they had developed for my top case. I am sure I will get a response soon. They are very good on the customer side of the business, and I also knew they had to find a solution for the system to be reliable for future sales. Updated this journal and now I will head to bed.
I have concerns about my progress for the next few days since I am entering open territory and if this cross wind persists, my progress may be slow... or I will have to get used to it. I was told today’s wind is not common, but also not unusual. I will deal with it as it comes. Maybe I will start earlier before the winds start, which seem to be early afternoon. I will see. More later.

Not many photos taken today in the windy areas. And I missed taking a campground photo. Nice campground though.

Waterfalls towards Yellowstone South Entrance


Yellowstone Lake and steam geyser


a big feller.... just grazing as the world took his picture


more Yellowstone Lake


Fishing Bridge and trout breeding area






Sylvans Pass area












Downtown Cody WY and Wild Bill Cody's Hotel

No comments:

Post a Comment