Monday, August 3, 2009

Day 26, Wednesday July 15, Tofino to Princeton, roughly 600 kms

I had checked the ferry schedule last night in the restaurant.... there was ferries at 10:40, 12:45 and 3:15. The 10:40 was impossible, but with steady hustle I could make the 12:45 one. I showered, packed and spoke to some people from Netherlands who had stayed about their room. Theirs was fine, but they had some difficulties with the German speaking shyster who ran the place. For me he was overly welcoming... “got just the room for you, my last if second floor is okay?” LOL

I headed back into Tofino for more photos... found a sign saying the end of the Trans Canada Hwy.. (it ends on the approach to a wooden dock on the Pacific.) A short cruise around town and headed east for the Ferry terminal at Duke Point. Not sure where it was, but south of Nanaimo was how the map showed it. It was a foggy ride to start, the moisture on the windshield making me slow to wipe a bit away for better visibility. At one point, a large dog/ coyote or wolf crossed the road in front of me about 100 yards away. Didn’t get a good look as he was not wasting time watching me. The ride through the mountains was different and better because I was warmer and less tired. Still challenging, fun road of twisty turns, decent pavement mostly but a few “watch out spots”, lots of marked slow corners, few campers and cars. The fog cleared finally and the road got faster.
I made Port Alberni and gassed up, stopped for directions to Duke Point and headed towards the ferry with some time to spare – at least no need to rush. The traffic on the Inland 4 lane hwy was fast and the trucks seemed aggressive a bit passing me when I was doing 10 over the limit... then washing in turbulence as they slowed to my speed, forcing me to slow more or re-pass them. Traffic around Nanaimo got heavier and more traffic lights and lower speed limits were present. Followed the signs to the Duke Point Ferry terminal and made it with 50 minutes before sailing time. Chatted with some other motorcyclist, got directions for bike shops to see if I can locate the helmet part and got on the ferry. Caught up on this journal at one of the computer desks on the ferry (no WiFi though).
After the ferry, I headed east towards Langley where I heard there was bike shops that may have my helmet part. It was along the way. The one shop I located were like the others, no stock, and not interested in taking one off a new helmet and ordering the replacement. I guess I am going without until it rains.. then tape the visor on... LOL, or go to Calgary where the parts place is located. I could order from a shop ahead, if I knew one a week away... which now would be in the USA.
Again I headed east, this time on the Trans Canada 1 towards Hope and hwy 3 cut-off. It was a high speed traffic choked route, trucks and cars and some RV’s. It seemed forever to get to the cut-off for hwy 3, then realized the same ‘mistake I made in 2005, no gas for another 87 kms. I had enough, but it would be close.
Hwy 3 was 4 lane for a long way, curving and 90 to 100 zones. Light traffic, some bikes and good road. I stopped at the Hope Slide with closed the road in Jan of 1965. A huge part of the mountain broke away in a moderate earthquake and buried the road, a small lake and 4 cars. 4 deaths in the cars. They had been delayed by a snow slide earlier that put them in harm’s way. The lake was filled in and the water displaced up the slope of the mountain across the way, then came back down and drowned the slurry mess where the road was previously, now buried under 75 meters of rock. The slide is impressive. The new road is now 50 meters higher than the original road... and displaced to one side by a good distance.
The road turned twisty and I came upon a 3 day old accident with a transport. They were still cleaning it up and the wreck of the trailer was still on its side, no cab to be seen. The roof was ripped off. I heard after the driver fell asleep and the rig flipped. It was on a 40 kms corner... lots of those there.
Got to Princeton and found a meal, my first of the day. Steak, mashed potatoes and salad, with all the fixings and a cold local draft to wash it down. Good meal. I found a campground nearby and set camp with another fellow from Belgium riding a bike. Jerome is his name. He has been 4 days riding from Victoria.
Nice Mom and Pop campground with free WiFi and showers, clean, next to a river and on a grassy lot. Owners are very nice. All that for $15. Better than last night disaster motel room. Now late.. I will turn in. Jerome has ridden his bike back to town for some drink and groceries.

Tofino - this wharf is the Pacific end of the Trans Canada Highway








waiting for the ferry at Duke Point terminus


The Hope Slide




nice campsite in Princeton BC, on grass next to a river


Jerome and his bike

No comments:

Post a Comment