Sunday, August 9, 2009

Day 38 – Monday, July 27, SS Badger Ferry across Lake Michigan to Dundas, Ont – home about 625 kms approx.

On board the ferry, I got a quick tour looking for a place to get some rest and hopefully sleep. The ferry trip was 4.5 hours long and there was a time zone change as well during the trip – arrival was approx 5:30 am. I knew that I had at least 8 hour ride home, I would need all the sleep I could earn. I chose a reclining deck lounge chair right near the bow, hoping I was protected from the breeze by the high bow, it would be quiet and warm enough I hoped. Using my jacket as a blanket I managed about 2.5 hours sleep before I woke a little cool and uncomfortable. I wandered the ship until docking time, and when docked, immediately set off down the road. It was both cool and foggy ride. I stopped for a 5 Hour Energy boost, and warmer gloves, then later added my pullover, and finally later, added my rain jacket to cut the wind. The fog was slow in clearing, and traffic early on a Monday morning was a little heavier than I expected.
Nothing much interesting to report, the roads were good, the fog eventually lifted and I stopped for a few rests, since I had lots of time for the day, and no need to hurry. I found a bypass around Interstate 75 and followed rural 46 east to the shores of Lake Huron. I did stop and chat with another rider returning from a weekend at some motor cycle drag races. He was riding a 1979 Harley, he was the original owner and had plenty of stories of the bikes history over the last 30 years.
Another energy drink and I was off again. The 5 and 6 hour Energy drinks do work well for me... no crash after, small bottles to carry. Eventually making the Huron lake shore and turned south to Port Huron and the border crossing into Sarnia Ontario. Even the bridge crossing was fine, though I admit I did no looking around.. just rode the centre lane and watched the bridge joints go by. The border crossing was uneventful and horray, in Ontario again. I started down the highway 402.. I eventually exited it to escape for the long line of trucks I was following, plus others coming up behind me. The alternate route, though not time or distance efficient, was more relaxing and interesting, passing through small towns I had never visited but knew about. Eventually I was forced back onto the highway for a short while (or pass through a larger city of London), when I exited east of London and found the road that will take me within a few blocks of my home, plus past my mother’s home. But Mom was not available by phone, so I went straight onward to home. The last few miles seemed to take a long time, partly because I was trapped behind a slow moving truck and a speed zone that I knew was well known as a speed trap.
Finally home, I had to rearrange the other bikes in the garage to fit mine in, not impressed with that at all... lol Also, disappointed that my car that had been out for some mechanical service work was not parked there either.
I did get a good greeting from my dog and my son’s dog when entering the house. I was tired, it was mid afternoon and for the remainder of the day I just relaxed, not even bothering to unload the bike.


I did speak to my dear mother by phone when she returned my telephone message about 4 hours after my return home. It turns out, it was the last time I was to ever speak to her, as she suddenly passed away later that night. Fate allowed that I was able to speak to her just prior to her death, and after the completion of my trip.




SS Badger docking in Manitowac WI



Home at last - back in the stable


a well worn tire

No comments:

Post a Comment