Sunday, August 2, 2009

Day 23 – in Whistler (with daughter Lisa)

Got up from my backyard campsite, after going back to bed after missing most of the F1 race on TV (too early for me), had a breakfast and then Lisa and I went kayaking for 3 hours. At no cost, as her neighbour owns the rental place. Thank you Patrick!! That was fun. A lot of fun and the first time I had ever been in a kayak.

After, we returned to her basement apartment. Watched a movie and I checked email, started this journal updating yesterday and today. After a rest from kayaking, Lisa and I went into the village for lunch and a tour of the village. We had burgers at Splitz, a place I had stopped at in 2005.. I remembered it as soon as I entered the place.
After the mid afternoon lunch we rode out of town to the 2010 Winter Olympic skiing facilities – ski jump, cross country skiing and biathlon courses. It was closed, but we parked outside the gates and walked in – a good hike in. Took us nearly 2 hours to walk in, walk the site without walking too much of the trails and take photos. Only a few buildings there. After that we rode up to the Olympic athletes village under construction, closed area with security, but they look like condos only so not much interest there. Somewhere else in town is the luge and bobsled tracks, but we didn’t get to them. It was getting late and cool, so we headed back to her basement apartment to watch a movie and have dinner.

Overall, Lisa and I had a nice day visiting and catching up after 11 months.

Tomorrow, I will catch a ferry from Horseshoe Bay to Nanaimo on Vancouver island, ride up to Campbell River where Wayne and Mary Jane Kerr have offered to host me accommodations for the night.... as well as a place to change oil on the bike. I haven’t seen Wayne in several years, since he lived in St Thomas, Ontario. We do keep in touch by email often.

My Backyard Campsite




Our morning in Kayaks
from one lake to another via a long, shallow, winding, lazy river











Whistler Village







Whistler Olympic Park





Brand New trail grooming equipment ready to go














Olympic Facility Inukshuk with ski jumps in background

No comments:

Post a Comment